Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Night Seasons


Originally published 7/10/10. Slightly edited.*

The Lord is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup: 
thou maintainest my lot.
The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places;
yea, I have a goodly heritage.
I will bless the Lord, who hath given me counsel:
my reins also instruct me in the night seasons.
I have set the Lord always before me: 
because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth:
my flesh also shall rest in hope.
For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell;
neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
--Psalm 16:5-11 (KJV)

Night seasons are a part of life, but when we make the Lord our portion and happiness, we have nothing to fear.  Hearts that are dedicated to Him continue to find His wise counsel as darkness tucks in the corners of the sky.   

I think of my friend who will wake in the middle of the night to nurse her newborn, and a friend's daughter who is in labor tonight with her first baby. There are parents who can't sleep as they long for healing for their sick children. Heros work night shifts, giving up the daily rhythm of life, so that others might live.  

I remember summer nights as a teenager, unable to sleep because I was filled with such excitement about my future. I remember laughing with my husband until the wee hours of the morning, telling each other jokes and reminiscing about silly things. I think of fitful nights of worry that melted into peace because of His presence. I am humbled by all the times His forgiveness and mercy brought solace when regrets of the day crowded the silence of night. His love for us does not run out, no matter the time on the hands of a clock.

How many prayers will be said for the first time tonight?  How many whispered conversations between couples?  How many tears?  How many giggles?

The night belongs to Him as much as the day.  He rules over all.  His Holy Spirit guides us when the sun is brilliant and also when there isn't a star to be seen in incomprehensible darkness.  He never slumbers nor sleeps. 

Set the Lord before you always and you will find courage, gladness, rejoicing, rest, and hope.  He will guide you through the night seasons; He will show you the path of life.  Abide in Him, and you will find fullness of joy and pleasures for evermore.

*In the Douay-Rheims translation, this is Psalm 15. Even though I'm Catholic now, I still love the language of the King James Version for this Psalm, which doesn't affect the meaning of the translation.

©2010-2016 Emily Woodham

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post, Emily! I love the night as much as the day. It's only in the dark that you see the stars. Only in the rest from day noises that you hear the chirps of the crickets.

    ReplyDelete