Saturday, June 18, 2016

You Can't Escape Grace



This thought came to me one day while I was driving around doing errands . . . and worrying about the gaps I see in my parenting:

You can never raise your children in such a way that they won't need grace.

My mother used to say that if there could be such a thing as perfect parents, then we wouldn't have needed Jesus to come and save us. It's obvious, right? We all need God. We all need His grace. This is why we teach our kids to pray, to build their own relationship with God, to partake of the Sacraments, and to read the Scriptures. We do all this because we know how much we need Jesus. We know life can be difficult and bittersweet, and we know it's impossible to live it well without Him. We know the Truth sets us free, and we want our children to be free, too.

Our stumbles and foibles, even our sins, are not greater than His love. It was a wonderful lifting of worry from my shoulders to be reminded that it is Jesus who is the Author and Perfecter of each person's faith. He is good and faithful. He will fill in the gaps.



©2016 Emily Woodham

No comments:

Post a Comment