Monday, July 7, 2014

A Review: Teaching from Rest: A Homeschooler's Guide to Unshakable Peace

Teaching from Rest: A Homeschooler's Guide to Unshakable PeaceTeaching from Rest: A Homeschooler's Guide to Unshakable Peace by Sarah Mackenzie
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I've homeschooled my kids since my oldest was in kindergarten nine years ago. I gave this little, easy-to-read ebook five stars because it's perfect for busy mothers who need a boost. You can have multiple interruptions and still read this in a day while actually gaining more than mere fluff.

Sarah Mackenzie affirms in Teaching from Rest what I have found to be true in our own homeschool experience: Homeschooling your kids is an every day, moment to moment vocation that cannot be fulfilled by quick fixes or frenetic schedules. Homeschooling takes time and a dedication to see the beauty in the mundane, a perseverance to not give up through all the unglamorous, rough days (sometimes weeks), and a faith that God's love doesn't run out even if you feel tapped out.
 
In addition to what I said on Goodreads: I especially liked Mackenzie's encouragement to rest in God while homeschooling through the gifts He has given you (not through what others say you should do or be). I had burned myself out a few years ago striving to be a woman who wasn't me, trying to force our homeschool into someone else's mold.
I appreciate that Mackenzie is balanced, though. After one exhausts the trap of always trying new ideas/curriculum/schedules to fit others' ideals, it's easy to fall into the other trap of giving up. During seasons of moving, new babies, or illnesses, I had often said that my children were learning despite myself. All we could accomplish were the bare essentials of formal learning, and yet my kids read books for fun, spied out bugs in the backyard, and invented games. However, it's important that when those seasons pass that education be an intentional act and goal. A season of Mythbusters is fine when you're unpacking for the third time in two years, but you really do need to roll up your sleeves and crack open the textbook as soon as you can. Mackenzie gets this; not all homeschoolers do.

Mackenzie is partnering with Classical Academic Press to create the ScholĂ© Sisters website. I'm looking forward to it commencing and checking it out!


2 comments:

  1. I just read Sarah's book this past week. You said: "I especially liked Mackenzie's encouragement to rest in God while homeschooling through the gifts He has given you (not through what others say you should do or be)." I appreciated that encouragement as well. It was one of the things that stood out to me in her book. :)
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As independent and opinionated as homeschoolers are, one would think we'd be less prone to try and fit into someone else's mold. :) I think that problem causes more discouragement and burn out than any other. Blessings to you and your homeschool!

      Delete