Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Trinitarian Living

In closing, the Trinity is not a doctrine to be philosophized beyond the teachings of Scripture but rather a
Humble,
Loving,
Worshipful,
Relational,
Diverse,
Submissive,
and Joyful
life 
to be entered into by the Spirit through the Son to the Father.

--from Doctrine by Mark Driscoll and Gerry Breshears

I believe it was a year ago that I read the first chapter of Doctrine.  Its explanation of the doctrine of the Trinity is exquisite.  It stuck with me though I had to put the book down for other books more important for homeschooling.  I picked up Doctrine and my highlighters last month and began delving in again.  It's been  nice to get back to the roots of the Faith and to remember what the necessities are.

I love the Trinity.  I have loved the Trinity for as long as I can remember.  I was puzzled by adults who said it was a difficult mystery.  There was nothing difficult about it to me.  He is simply the Three in One.  One God, three Persons.  For all eternity.

I now understand that mysteries require childlike faith.

The description of Trinitarian living will sometimes dance around in my mind as I do the dishes or cook a meal.  I have thought of it while watching the kids play on the swingset on a breezy day.  I turn over the adjectives in my head:  What does the world mean by humble?  What does God say is humble?  Is joyful living a performance or is it deeper?  Am I worshiping God with my life?  Have a settled for uniformity instead of embracing the diversity in Christ?  Have I become an island with my books, forgetting my relationships?  Is my submission loving obedience to Him, or is it submission to religion?

2 comments:

  1. Love this. It reflects my thoughts so well. I will share this with my Sunday school class since this was our topic last week. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am flattered! :) God bless!

    ReplyDelete