Saturday, October 29, 2011

Love So Amazing

My husband and I are reading the Gospel of Matthew, again, during our morning devotions.  A few weeks ago, we were in Matthew 14--the beheading of John the Baptist, the feeding of the five thousand, and the walking on water.  Antonio pointed out that after hearing about John's death, Jesus had wanted to be alone in quietness.  The crowds followed after Him so that when His boat came to shore, He was in anything but solitude.  He could have complained.  Instead, He had compassion on the people and healed them.  He could have sent them away when evening approached, but He fed them.

Jesus went in the boat with His disciples, and finally made it to the mountainside by Himself to pray.  After He came down, He walked on water to His disciples and told Peter to come and join Him on the stormy waves.  When Peter fell in the water, Jesus could have given Peter a lecture on how awful he was to doubt.  But Jesus kept His words simple, took him back to the boat and calmed the wind.  When they arrived at Gennesaret, Jesus went right back to work healing the crowds.

My husband pointed out two things:  How loving Jesus is, and how obedient He is in every situation!  Out of Jesus' love and obedience, that flowed from His brokenness, came two of the most famously known miracles that He did!  Everyone, even atheists and pagans, know about the Feeding of the Five Thousand and that Jesus walked on water.  Many times these are the stories that draw people's curiosities to read the Bible.  


Not long before John the Baptist was executed, Jesus had comforted the people, "Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)


My husband said that one of the most difficult things we are called to do is to be open to the Lord every single day, no matter our circumstances.  His grace covers us.  His yoke is easy; the burden is light.  What can we learn from Him?  Good things will come when we lay aside our agendas and embrace the crazy day that needs a lot of love.  We need to take advantage of the mountainside when He sends us rest because we don't know what is in store for us next.  Stormy water is best walked on in faith.

Are we perfect in this?  No.  Has any one of us got this down pat?  No.  Do I believe we're meant to be austere stoics who never grieve or get frustrated?  No, I don't believe that is Biblical considering that Jesus Himself grieved and was frustrated, even angry.

I think when most of us consider Jesus' love, our thoughts turn to the Cross, His suffering and sacrifice for us.  But He didn't just wander around in a foggy bliss until the Last Supper.  He loved humanity in the day to day barrage of irritations and heartaches.  He obeyed the Father whether He was tired or rested.  When I think of His truly amazing love and how He trusted the Father in every situation in this imperfect world, I can't help but want to persevere and be like Him.





2 comments:

  1. Great piece! So many thoughts were running through my head as I was nodding in agreement all throughout. One of the strongest thoughts was "Be ye angry and sin not." I wish there was another word for the right kind of anger, like there is for the right kind of complaining vis-à-vis lamenting. Jesus loved right! That's why it is so deep and so amazing! Your last two sentences sum it up beautifully; "I can't help but want to persevere and be like Him."

    Thank you so much for linking to TGS! The other links look awesome too and I will be back to savor them all! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thank you, Petra, for all your thoughtful comments! Hope you have a wonderful Sabbath! God bless!

    ReplyDelete