Thursday, October 20, 2011

Chosen Ones by Alister McGrath

Chosen Ones: Book One of the Aedyn ChroniclesChosen Ones: Book One of the Aedyn Chronicles by Alister E. McGrath

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


We really liked this book, and the kids would ask for "one more chapter" every time I read. It had a good storyline and moved fast.

Unfortunately, the editing isn't very good. There are some beautiful phrases in the book, and I wish the publisher had allowed the author (I'm assuming that the publisher/editor/agent had something to do with this rather than the author) more pages for his writing. It felt like a great mind had been reined in. At times, the story felt stilted and rushed.

This is the first book I've read by Alister McGrath, but I've seen him quoted several times in articles. The theology in the book was excellent, and not too subtle. Because of Chosen Ones, I am very curious to read his more scholarly works.

We will go and purchase the second book in the series, but I confess I'm hoping that the next book will be more filled out than the first one.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. How old are your children, and do they all love books? I loved reading to my boys and still read to my husband. It's much better than teevee! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids are 12 (my daughter), 10, 7, and 4. They do all love books! :) The seven year old is still working on fluidity. I read to them most afternoons around tea and bedtime stories. My older two are voracious readers, and I'm so grateful! You are absolutely right--it is much better than tv!

    ReplyDelete