Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Cost Of Discipleship: A Review

The Cost of DiscipleshipThe Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I loved this book! Some passages were more difficult than others, but I found it to be time well spent to think through what Bonhoeffer had to say.

I disagree with some of Bonhoeffer's pacifist views. He mentioned that he differs from the Reformers on those points, and I think I'd side more with them. Considering that he was a part of the plot to assassinate Hitler, I'd be interested to know how he reconciled the plot with what he proposes in The Cost. I am reading his biography by Metaxas, and I'm hoping that the biography will shed light on this. (My favorite essay on pacifism is C. S. Lewis's "Why I Am Not A Pacifist." I'm sick of war, but there are times when war is necessary.)

The book deserves five stars for his expositions of cheap vs. costly grace, the Call, the Incarnation, Baptism, Holy Eucharist, the Believer, and the Church. It was written nearly 75 years ago, but the problems he addresses in this work are timeless. Bonhoeffer does a thorough and excellent job exploring a life lived out by the Spirit with works which are done unawares, yet saints still being purposeful in the pursuit of the Call.

My soul feels well fed!



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I need to borrow this book. :-) This page is bookmarked so I won't forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Petra, each time you comment, it warms my heart! I'm such a slacker blogger. :P Your blog has been a great encouragement to persevere in my efforts to keep the household humming with some sort of order. :) God bless you!

    ReplyDelete