Sunday, April 10, 2011

Pretty, Pretty Princess

Sofia just three years old, Christmas 2002.


I don't mind it when people talk about women embracing femininity.  It's good and right as long as you have a Biblical definition of femininity driving the dialogue.  However, I do have a bit of a beef with the fluffy, spoiled image of women as "princesses" that permeates not only secular society but also Christianity.

I don't have a problem with dress-up and tea parties. I enjoy fancy and frivolous things. What I don't like is this belief I encounter that being a Daughter of the King of Kings is a reason for us to walk as spoiled, petulant divas who are forever thirteen in our maturity. 

Like it or not, there is talk in the Bible of us being slaves to Christ, of seeing others as above ourselves, of sacrifice, and self-control.

I talked to my husband about this months ago, and he said that the best picture of a Christian Princess is Eowyn in The Lord of the Rings, especially Eowyn as portrayed in the book.  She is not spoiled, and the sword she carries is not for show.  She serves and works hard.  She doesn't have any sense that the world owes her.  She knows how to slay the dragon, and she's not too delicate or fearful to do it.

So embrace beauty and your femininity, revel that the Lord has adopted you as His daughter.  Rejoice when someone gives you a gift certificate to the spa, and have fun painting those toenails.  Wear that pretty dress for your date with your husband; dance in the kitchen with your kids. (I love all those things!) Just remember  that no honorable person in royalty lives a life of ease.  Jesus served, and we aren't above our Master.


©2011-2016 Emily Woodham

1 comment:

  1. You brought out an interesting point. In our culture, there is a fine line between a healthy self-esteem and overt self-centeredness. This is especially true of women, whose view of self can fluctuate wildly between two unhealthy extremes. I think some Christian writers and counselors do go overboard on this issue, following societal trends. I agree with you that the ideas "growing up" and "maturing" and "moving away from self-centeredness" are often de-emphasized. I guess these are hard lessons that most people don't really like to hear.

    ReplyDelete