Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Humiliation and Exaltation of Jesus Christ

It doesn't seem right not to write anything this Holy Week.  My mind has been on the Gospels all week, but everything I write about seems so thin.  Like everyone else, we've been busy too.

I think the thing that keeps slamming me between the eyes is that for all Jesus went through, all He suffered, He is the only One who could rightly treat us with condescension, yet He doesn't. 

The week of Ash Wednesday, the kids and I were on Question 22 (?--I'm too tired to go get the book from downstairs) of the Westminster Shorter Catechism (we're averaging one question every two weeks).  In the answer was the phrase "the humiliation and exaltation of Jesus Christ."  From there the questions explore His role as prophet, priest, and king.  I couldn't believe how timely it was because I certainly didn't plan it! 

"Humiliation and exaltation." Jesus is all-powerful yet so humble. 

Before I finally go to bed, which I should've done a long time ago, I want to say I know a lot of churches don't hold Good Friday services.  Even if yours doesn't, please don't let it keep you from visiting a church or at the very least taking the time to read about the trials and the crucifixion in the Gospels.  I think we lose so much when we gloss over His Passion. 

1 comment:

  1. That you for this post and reminder! And a most blessed Good Friday to you!

    ReplyDelete