Monday, April 25, 2011

Grandma's Proper Prayer

Just two months before my mother died, in her last birthday card to my daughter, she sent a copy of a paper that my grandmother had kept tucked in her Bible.  The paper is in my grandmother's handwriting and there is no notation of a sermon or any other source:

Eight Steps Of Proper Prayer:

1.  Ask in Jesus name--John 14:13-14
2.  Thanksgiving and Praise--Psalm 100:4
3.  Pray boldly--Hebrews 4:16
4.  Pray with right motive--so our Father in Heaven will be glorified.  James 4:3
5.  Forgive aught against any (Repent and forgive)--Mark 11:25
6.  Ask to be led by The Holy Spirit--Romans 8:14
7.  Affirmation of God's Word--I Chronicles 17:23
8.  Have Faith--Hebrews 11:6--discard worry, believe that God will take care of the matter & guide you. Trust Him.--

5 comments:

  1. That is very helpful and encouraging. I'm bookmarking this to print after I get more ink. :-) Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such an honor, Petra! Btw, do you have a book of your poetry? Are you planning on publishing one? It's truly beautiful! The one today on Uzzah was so insightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Emily! Sorry, I don't have a book or one in the press, but I'll look into it as soon as I find out where to look. :-) Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so blessed to have a long heritage of women of faith in your family. And the idea of writing spiritually-significant letters/cards to the next generations is just wonderful. While emails and text messages may get lost or deleted, these little notes will be kept and cherished for years to come. I've started writing actual letters to my children (actually only a couple to my teen). Thanks for these inspirations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so cool, Helen! :) I miss my Grandma and my Mom. I definitely didn't appreciate them enough as I was growing up! :)

    ReplyDelete