Thursday, April 28, 2011

Feed The Hungry

My Dad made a point today that I thought was pretty good:  Jesus didn't say give money to organizations that feed the poor.  Jesus simply stated, "Feed the poor."  It's great to give money to the church and ministries, but we need to be in the act of feeding the hungry.  It is a humbling, necessary experience. 

I've given money.  I've assembled sandwiches and bags of food.  I briefly helped out with a ministry to a juvenile detention center while I was in college.  I was a volunteer at the hospital for a summer.  When I was twenty, I went to Nicaragua to help a medical missions team for a mere ten days.  I've made meals for families with new babies or that were struggling with illnesses.  I've donated to canned food drives. I've prayed.  But I can't think of a time that I actually handed food to the homeless.

There is a season for everything, and I get that.  I've been nursing babies and chasing toddlers.  The youngest is four now.  My oldest is eleven and has that fire for social justice that burns within Christian youth!  My prayer is that by the end of the year (should be an easy goal, eh?) we get to help at least once to feed the poor in Jesus' Name.

I know not everyone is called into ministry.  I know we need organizations and people committed to full-time work to help people out of poverty and to minister to those who just won't/can't get out.  But I think my Dad is right.  If we are able, we need to feed the poor at least once from our own hands.



© 2009-2015 Emily Woodham

1 comment:

  1. I think your dad is right too! Thank you for this great post and reminder! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete