Wednesday, February 2, 2011

To The Hospital We Go

(Giovanni on Daddy's lap while riding the Duck Boat in Seattle, WA)



I tried calling the pediatrician's office three times before I gave up.  Then I called the GP my husband and I see.  This would later prove to be a definite Godsend. Our GP's young partner, Dr. H, was able to squeeze Giovanni into the morning schedule, and Dr. B had space to see my husband, who had injured his knee a few days before.  So Antonio and I with all four of our children traipsed into the office.

Dr. H listened to Giovanni, drew blood, and checked his oxygen level.  His office was so efficient yet kind.  He was certain Giovanni had pneumonia.  He told us the best thing to do was to just go on to Dell Children's Hospital.

In the car I had tried to think ahead and suggested to Antonio that we go home first to make sure we had snacks on hand for Giovanni and a few of his favorite toys.  Antonio firmly but gently told me that going home wasn't the best thing to do.  Giovanni needed to go to the hospital right away.

As the emergency sank into my bewildered mind, I called our babysitter's family and spoke with her mother to see if Antonio could drop off the kids after taking Giovanni and me to the hospital.  I called another friend and asked her to call the church--we needed prayer!


The emergency room went smoothly, and as soon as we were put in an exam room I held Giovanni and paced while I prayed and sang hymns, trying to comfort him and myself. My mother's sudden death just two months before magnified the gravity of my son's pneumonia.

After an xray and more blood tests, it was determined that Giovanni needed intravenous antibiotics right away.  The ER doctor wanted him to go to ICU, but the ICU attending physician thought Giovanni's demeanor was too good for ICU.  The doctor from the regular floor wasn't too sure that the ICU doctor was making the right call.  And so began the strange battle within the war for Giovanni's life because his demeanor masked symptoms.

When he was admitted the consensus was that Giovanni would be in the hospital for two or three days.  He had bacterial pneumonia, but the belief was that we had caught it at an early stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment