Friday, February 4, 2011

Riding A Whale In A Hurricane

(Playing on the black sands of La Push, WA)


Mom used to quote from a scene in Disney's Blackbeard's Ghost when life got a little crazy; her way of relieving tension. I thought of it during a quiet moment in the hospital, the scene when the cleaner, funnier version of Blackbeard exclaims, "That be more fun than riding a humptyback whale in a hurricane!"

The analogy of riding a whale in a deadly storm was exactly how things felt.  I had hoped that with all the spunk Joe showed during the CT Scan that it meant Joe would be all right without surgery. 

We rode the wave up.

Mrs. H from church serenely sat and waited as I got Giovanni calm. Then we prayed together.

Just as she was leaving, one of the elders, Mr. M, arrived.  He sat down next me as I told him that my son seemed to be better and may not need surgery.  Mr. M said he'd wait with me for the results which were due any minute.  Antonio had left earlier in the morning to go see our other kids and to get some things from the house.  Because I had told my husband that the surgeon didn't think things were serious, Antonio had planned to be back later in the afternoon.  It was Providential that I had Mr. M's company.

The nurse scurried into the room holding up a phone, with a panic stricken face.

"The surgeon needs to speak with you."  She thrust the phone in my hand and stood by the bed.

I quietly took in as the surgeon spoke, "I'm sorry Mrs. Woodham.  I can't believe it.  I've never seen a lung get so bad so fast.  He needs surgery as soon as possible.  When was the last time he ate?"

The surgeon went over the details with me so that I understood everything when I had to sign the documents to perform the surgery, "Mrs. Woodham, I have to tell you the risks of this surgery.  They aren't high, but . . ."

"Yes, I know."  By God's grace I wasn't a mess, I stayed calm.  "He could die, or there could be injuries."

He sighed, "Yes, but I believe the surgery is essential."

Without thinking, the words just came gently but firmly out of my mouth, "I trust you, and I know you will do your absolute best for my son's health.  The nurses said you are the best surgeon in the hospital, and I know you will do everything you can for him.  I trust you."

I was able to trust the surgeon because I trusted my Lord.  I was able to trust Him because He was strong in my weakness, He gave me the grace I needed.

I called my husband and let him know he needed to come to the hospital as soon as possible.  I called the friends who were watching our other kids.  I asked them to call our small group from church and ask for prayers.

It seemed so incongruous, a toddler who could scream so loudly but barely have any lung capacity.  It was mostly collapsed on the CT image.  It seemed unthinkable that a child who had such an iron will was tip toeing on the edge of death. 

We rode the wave down.

No comments:

Post a Comment