Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Christmastide in Austin

Ooooooooooooh, it's Christmastide in Austin,
jalapeños strung in lights
adorn the burnt orange longhorns
as elves in burnt orange tights
throw candy amid the cacti
to a throng of shorts clad kin
for it's Christmastide in Austin
and there's hardly any wind.

It's Christmastide in Austin,
fresh tamales in every store
next to Santas wearing cowboy boots
and reindeer jerky piled on the floor
along with cayenne cookies with chocolate and pē-cans.
I wish y'all could see these:
Multi-colored longhorn á la marzipans.

It's Christmastide in Austin,
two below freezing at the dawn
and by the time it's dinner
you could be suntanning on your lawn.
There are sleds at the skating rink,
Schlitterbahn has fake snow,
or you can Fa-La-La in your flipflops
on Town Lake as you row.

It's Christmastide in Austin,
a most joyful time of year
and I will not let Scrooge rub off
and steal my Christmas cheer.
Dickens had his London;
I have Austin, true.
But why should I get all knotted up over lack of season hue?

It's Christmastide in Austin,
I decorate with glee
with glue gun at the ready
and ribbon round the tree.
I sing of a Bleak Midwinter when unto us a Son was born,
a Silent Night Away in a Manager,
our world no more forlorn.

So God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen!
Let's wassail round the bowl,
it's Christmastide in Austin,
even if there isn't snow.

by Emily Woodham



11 comments:

  1. Love it!! You are so creative. Thank you for putting a positive spin on our very UN-festive weather here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I love this! I live in the DFW area, so it's not that much different. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is FABULOUS! And, it's great that I'm in Austin and totally get everything you are talking about. You are talented, girl, but I already knew this. My favorite line?

    It's Christmastide in Austin,
    two below freezing at the dawn
    and by the time it's dinner
    you could be suntanning on your lawn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not in Austin, but yes, Orlando, this fits much too:) Love it! Hanging lights in shorts and turned on the air today...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, smart idea with the glue gun and the tree! Around here it wouldn't last a day, I be you can do that with all of your trees in Austin. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Emily, this poem has me laughing so hard! Thanks for sharing your talent and sense of humor with us. It's a great start for my not-so-Christmasy Hong Kong day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janice, I am flattered you recommend that I put intellectual property on this! :) I did make my authorship known, but I have no idea how to do a copyright. LOL! My husband said that the act of publishing with the time and date stamp is an automatic copyright of sorts, so I'll check it out. It was nice of you to suggest it! :)

    Thank you everyone for all your comments! I'm glad I could make y'all laugh! :) :) It made my day! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What could be more Christmas-ey than a string of jalapeno lights? Good for you, holding on to your glee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, I just have to say that I love this. You are one creative chick! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm just getting around to checking blogs - this is awesome! I'm going to link to it on Facebook. Love it Emily! Great job! :-)

    ReplyDelete