Friday, May 21, 2010

Rather Like A Hobbit

This morning my husband and I were talking about child-like faith which led to a discussion of hobbits. 

The hobbits of the Fellowship have courage with compassion, strength with humility.  They have the ability to make the best of it in even the most dank circumstances.  They have the character to own up to their mistakes, even outright sins, and the grace to forgive the sins of others.  Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pipin take a beating and keep going without becoming embittered. 

I believe that kind of perseverance is seen in Christians who refuse to surrender their child-like faith to the cares of the world. 

I'm so grateful for all the Christian storytellers out there who, like Tolkien and Lewis, paint us pictures of Truth with their words.

4 comments:

  1. i like to think i'm like a hobbit. i at least have hobbit toes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The surgeon who cleaned Joseph's lung said something about his hobbit feet. I think hobbit toes/feet are just indicators of exceptionally wonderful people. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Humility, perseverance, courage to rise to the occasion, and the ability to be content with the simple things in life. All good traits for a Christian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for helping me in the journey to Fantasy Land!

    Becky @ Daily On My Way to Heaven

    ReplyDelete