Friday, May 28, 2010

The Chronicles of Narnia

I first read C. S. Lewis in high school, though I didn't read anything from The Chronicles of Narnia until 2005.  I loved The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, but there always seemed to be a stack of necessary books to read that kept me from reading the entire series.  No joke; it was a battle to get it done.

I wish I had tossed aside my stack until I had finished every last Chronicle book!  I finished The Last Battle two nights ago, and I have been turning it over and over in my mind ever since.  The Chronicles of Narnia is so simple at times and yet so gloriously rich.  I love the window Lewis gives so that we can look at life with eternal values.

My older two read the entire series on their own, and I was thrilled to listen to their exclamations of worry and delight as they retold the stories.  They couldn't wait for me to finish The Chronicles, and I am so glad that I have finally officially joined the club of all true Narnia fans.

It's easy enough for a child to read and understand, but it still made this adult woman laugh and cry.  My heart raced with the pace of  each exciting turn, and my cheeks got just as red as my kids' did during battles and confrontations.

I closed The Last Battle with such a vision of hope and glory, of forgiveness and love.  The books were an unexpected boost to my faith.  I am surprised by how touched I am by these stories, and I look forward to reading them again and again.

1 comment:

  1. I am a huge fan of the Narnia Chronicles, if you don't have them, get the Focus on the Family radio series of them. They are really well done and are great for road trips. The Last Battle is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete